Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Experience #1

Dear Blog,
 
To be completely honest, I find this whole social media thing very strange.  I don't have twitter.  I don't have a Facebook account.   I still don't really understand plurking.  I had a webpage as a teacher (which I rarely, if ever, updated).  I have a phone and an email. Period. Please forgive my ignorance of social media. 

Practicum Experience #1:  To my surprise, the students in our group were very smart!  They were all able to recognize letters and produce letter sounds, as well as read high frequency words.  My experiences in special education have taught me to "expect the unexpected."  Well, this was definitely unexpected.  These kids can read!  Truthfully, I was expecting students who probably could not hold a pencil or know any letter sounds.  This trend continued in math.  These kids already know how to add and subtract!  I couldn't be more relieved. 

The parents were friendly and the kids were eager...what more could a teacher ask for?

Professionalism is a topic I'd like to address.  Conversations between or among teachers regarding students should (in all professional arenas) be kept confidential and private.  These conversations should always occur behind closed doors---not in front of parents or students.  Students should never be present when these conversations occur.  Personally, I believe conversations about a student in front of other students is tacky and unacceptable. 


Okay, I'm off my soap box.  


See you next week, blog.  


MM

P.S.  Are we getting graded for grammar in these blogs?  

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of technology! I'm so glad you are blogging and giving plurk a try. This was a great post too! I totally agree with your views on professionalism! Blogging is a perfect platform for soapboxes so I hope you continue to share your views, opinions, and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to know that someone is was just as surprised by their experience as I was. It was very different working with kids that were able to do all these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tell 'em girl!

    Our kids are doing great! Go them (and us)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so with you on the social media. I only do email as well. :) But, do you text? If so, you are one up on me! I have not sprung for the extra package in the phone bill to cover texting, but I am thinking about it and it will not be long before I join the crowd of Iphone users with all the apps just waiting to be explored.

    I am glad your students are doing well and hope the rest of your practicum experience is just as great!

    I second your words on professionalism. It is a good reminder for us all to watch our words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to add that yes grammar counts. Communication is one of the keys to good teaching. In the syllabus (check the wiki): "2. Educators who are scholars and leaders use evidence-based practice for effective teaching and communication. (PEDAGOGY) They:...l) communicate effectively and professionally in writing, orally, and through various electronic media;"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good start on your blog. I like the cheery template that you chosen. I agree with your stance of professionalism.

    ReplyDelete