Tuesday, July 24, 2012


Dear Blog,

Here are the required components for my lesson reflection.

Lesson Summary:  The objective for my lesson today was:  Given a set of 10 two-digit subtraction problems with regrouping, the students will solve these problems with at least 80% accuracy.  I taught my two rising second graders this skill.  Because these students do not need remedial math instruction, I have decided to move forward to second grade content.  I expected this to be a difficult concept for them to grasp.  However, they grasped this new concept very quickly.  To teach this concept, I first taught the students a poem about subtracting with regrouping.  This greatly helped them differentiate between problems that did not require regrouping and problems that did require regrouping.  I modeled this several times, and then the students helped me complete the guided practice portion. 

What Worked:   The poem was very advantageous for these students!  They said the poem aloud for each problem.  This helped them to not only be able to determine if regrouping was needed, but also helped them to complete the steps in order.

What Would I Change:  Next time, I would speed up the lesson.  The students learned this concept so quickly.  It was unexpected and we were left with extra time.

See you next week, blog.

MM

7 comments:

  1. Melissa that is such a cool way to help a student know what do it math. Can you put the poem up on the blog so that I can see it please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love integrating ELA into Math! I think it's really effective and can make a sometimes tedious subject much more enjoyable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job! I am glad everything went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Melissa,

    Sounds like you had a great lesson. I like your idea of using a poem. I also printed off a poem to use to teach this skill but have not yet introduced it to my students. Maybe I will be blogging about it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem was really cute and one that they will remember for a long time. Great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regrouping Poem for Subtraction

    More on top?
    No need to stop.

    More on the floor?
    Go next door
    And get some more.

    Number’s the same?
    Zero’s the game!


    http://secondgradefun.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/subtraction-with-regrouping/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the best teacher ever! I'm really going to miss you in 6 days. :(

    ReplyDelete